1.Today, every radio has their own unique style and influence. You, as a radio, play different genres without holding back. What are the risks and advantages of this?
The hardest part of this is to stream music for whole day with accordance depending on the appropriate time of the day, and to connect them to each other. However, these are the difficulties which make us unique. To be able to play a large genre of music one after another make us qualified, privileged and unique on the views of the audience.
2. How do you choose your DJ’s?
Some of the DJ’s or radio programmers working at Radyo Babylon are Pozitif employees. Some of these names already have a history with radio broadcasting or they live integrated with music. Our first criteria is that the candidate has to breathe with music, they should be able to add their own personal view in their program. Of course, suitability with the musical identitiy of our radio is a very important parameter, but we create this with the people we work with anyway.
3. We thought about your target market. Radio is the old generations habit and computer is the new generations. You are combining computer and radio. In this situation, who are your listeners?
We are not associating radio with only the old generation. Of course we are in a atmosphere that is full of new generation computers and internet. Radio Babylon is an FM radio that is very colorful, open to internet. But as a internet radio we see that the young generation are more dedicated listeners.
4. Radio Babylon’s fellow company is Pozitif therefore we want to ask, why isn’t there a musical culture here in Turkey? You are working with New York, Sao Paolo, Bogota, Paris, Londra, Berlin and Tokyo. Haven’t you ever thought of making a musical?
This is a tough question. Actually this year for the first time we entered another organization besides concerts or music and that was Cirque de Soleil. This year Pozitif made a new thing and we might be thinking of doing a musical, who knows…
5.Radios usually play the same songs all over. Is it different in Radio Pozitif?
We feel confident about the content, in fact Pozitif is a big pool that has a wide range of information and material from which we can benefit. We sometimes repeat some certain songs not in order to spend time but because we think they are confidential and good quality.
6.Do you have an intent to support new, unknown musicians?
We want to focus on music as a whole, that is why we have support to anything that is good. For example, while choosing the album of the week or the single of the day, we try to present our new discoveries in these sections. We seek to add new things to our pool all the time.
7. You are also active as a music portal. Is there a payment for accessing a music from your archives? Or for copying to our computers? So how are you different from limewire?
What we mean by portal is we have written and visual content accept from a player on our site. There are special documents, interviews, album commentaries in our portal. To download or buy a music is not valid.
8. Where do you provide your earnings from concert and festival organisations? By sponsors or ticket sales?
It depends. But mostly we get the sponsor support. On the other hand, there are also profitable parameters such as ticket sales and catering. But these things can vary depending on the activity.
9- How long does the organization take before each concert?
The length of the organization process depends on the content of the concert or festival. A festival that only takes place once is year requires a whole year of preparing. On the other hand, you may have to work for years to get some groups to come to Turkey for a festival or a concert, like U2.