Interviewee: Wendy Provence
Interviewer: Ülker Hızal
1) What is your average weekday and weekend like?
– How many hours per day do you go to school? Not more than five and a half hours.
– How many hours of homework do you have on weekdays & weekends? Around two to three hours.
– How many hours do you have for yourself on weekdays & weekends? Except the two or three hours homework
2) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I hope I’ll be able to attend a university I like and figure which major I want to study. Also, I really want to come back to China to find a job.
3) What is your favorite thing you like about living in China?
China is my homeland and I love it very much. Both my parents are in China so it is a place where I feel warm and happy. When I go abroad, I really miss my family and the food back in China. The most important thing I will do when I come back to China is eating food at home.
4) What do you dislike most about living in China?
I love my life in China. If I have to say a thing I dislike about China, I may say that I don’t like the high school education in China. We have only one test to decide which college we can attend and this test is the only factor that decides our future. That is very unfair. Also, students need to spend a lot of time on studying which is not really necessary.
5) What are Chinese students most passionate about?
There are a lot of things. Some are passionate about going to KTV (karaoke). Many people go to karaoke to relax and have fun with friends. Some are passionate about watching movies. Some are passionate about finding good places to eat. Some are passionate about traveling, etc.
6) What do Chinese students know about Turkey and how do they view Turkish people?
One of my friends, who had been to Turkey, told me she enjoyed her trip to Turkey very much and she liked the food there. I like Turkish people. My summer school roommate was very nice. I still remember the day when we first arrived at the school and we cried together because we were both homesick.
7) If someone were to visit China, where would you recommend they visit first?
As many people know, China is a country that has an ancient history. There is a particular city that I recommend people to visit. I highly recommend people to visit Beijing, the capital city of China. It is a city with a long history and you will feel it everywhere in Beijing. There are still many traditional cultures left in this city. The food in Beijing is also very good. You should go to some small “home cook” restaurants that make the traditional Chinese food: It is very good!
8) Any one interesting fact about the Chinese way of life?
Right now I’m studying in America, I am able to make more friend who are American or from other countries which makes me learn more about other countries and it is interesting to know more about different people’s lives. Also, I now have a chance to play different sports in different seasons, which in China I was not able to do, and it is a lot of fun, also I like my sports teams very much.
9) Can you please summarize your thoughts and feelings about China’s economic status?
This is a very a hard question to answer (laughs). I don’t really know much about the economic status in China, although my mother is teaching Economics in a university. Though I do sometimes ask her some questions about it. As you know, China developed quickly in these recent years and I can say that the economy is growing very quickly in China. This fact attracts many people from different countries to come to China. However, there is also an inflation happening in China, which causes many problems such as the price of apartments, or houses are too high so people cannot afford them.
10) How often do you go to cinema, theatre, concert or opera? What is Chinese students’ approach to visual and performing arts?
I do not usually go to cinema since I came to America because the cinema is a little far away from my school and it is a very small cinema, but I love to watch movies so I choose to watch movies online. I love to go to concert and I usually go to a concert three to four times a year. I think many Chinese students are good arts because art is a required class in our education. In my school now in America, there are many Chinese students who are able to take the AP Art course that’s a college level program.